Saturday, May 19, 2007

Postage Pitfalls


OK so when I sent our marriage certificate to the LA consulate over two weeks ago the postage rate was $14.40 for an overnight express envelope. Had the consulate processed our document in a timely manner I would not be writing this post. I get two hang up messages from the consulate on Thursday so I know that there is something wrong in authentication land. I try calling the number back but the phone just rings.....sigh....

Finally after accidentally hanging up on them (I have not quite figured out my new two line phone and switching from the business line to the personal) he calls me back to inform me that my document has been processed and is ready but he cannot send it back to me since the postage rate changed on May 15th and we are now short $1.85 on the return envelope. Bless his heart he was very kind but only spoke broken English and I was trying every which way to think of alternatives...send via my UPS account number (NO they don't deal with Brown), charge my credit card a $1.85 (NO not unless I can come to their offices LOL), send me the package and mark it recipient to pay postage due (NO he was told that it would just be returned to them) soo....finally we come to the conclusion that in order to get my document back I must send him some postage stamps in an envelope with my case number on it and they will affix the additional postage and send it to me.

Wow a lot of work and energy for a $1.85. You would think after paying them $25 for their seal that they just might once help out an adoptive parent and cover the extra postage. Of course my real thanks goes to our USPS for raising the postage rates yet again!

Notice in photo that the post office is still selling the old $14.40 rate stamp on their very own website. You cannot even buy a new rate stamp for express mail!

Holly

No comments: